The end of a season that was more than football

26-27. Thirty seconds left. Union County takes a knee, and the game is over. The student section turns to look at each other, all trying to mask our tears behind the freezing rain coming down.

The Panther season has come to an end, but it’s more than just a football season.

For the seniors, this is the last game. The last time we’ll stand in the student section alongside each other and lose our voices from cheering on our team.

Freshman year, we were there but “too cool” to get excited.

Sophomore year, we figured out the fun was in the student section and cheered all the way to the state championship and a AAA-title.

Junior year, we drove to away games and packed the stands at home games through an undefeated season, all the way up until a loss at the state championship.

Senior year, we led the student section, making our mark, ensuring the boys knew we were right there behind them. While we didn’t get to go to state again, the excitement and memories this season brought are untouchable.

Many of us became friends through football. The hour-long rides to away games gave us plenty of time to talk about everything under the sun and laugh more than we knew possible. Tailgating, painting up and dressing up for the home games brought us closer, and every Cook Out run after a game was filled with memories we didn’t know we were making.

The scoreboard didn’t look how we wanted. The boys were crying, families were crying, and so were we. Because no matter what, Chapman football was always more than just football.

This is where we got to know each other. This is where we could let loose and yell as loud as we wanted.

As we walked onto the field to hug our classmates and closest friends after the game, it all became real — this is the first “last” that really hit hard. As we walked off the field, we realized even when we came back, it wouldn’t ever be the same again. As we sat at Cook Out, we dreaded leaving because, no matter what, nothing would ever be quite like the post-Friday night lights hangouts.

However, we all hugged and agreed — once a Panther, always a Panther.

Congratulations to the football team on an amazing season, and congratulations to the senior class for having the most wins out of any class in CHS history. You left your mark.